Cocos Creator 1.2 officially released!
We are excited to release version 1.2 of Cocos Creator. Cocos Creator is a new, unified, development tool that handles every step in the game development process.
1.2 Main Features
- Build to Lua Engine
- WebGL auto batching and culling
- Canvas rendering with dirty region optimization
- Graphics drawing system
- Refactored Properties panel supporting customized elements
- AnySDK support
Build to Lua Engine
After two months of development and collaboration between the creator of Cocos2d-x Lua engine, Yulei Liao, and the Cocos Creator team, finally we are able to build scene and UI to be used in Cocos2d-x Lua engine now!
The current Creator to Lua workflow:
- Make and edit your Scene and UI in Creator, you can also manage project assets in it.
- In Build panel, choose
Luaas the target platform.
- Convert built files to lua files with the convert tool.
- Next, use the standard Cocos2d-x Lua engine workflow to add game scripts and then use Cocos Console for compiling and running.
We will keep updating Lua support for Creator. Next steps includes making the convert tool a plugin for Creator and generate standard Cocos2d-x Lua project, also we will add component system for Lua that you can bind data for your components in Creator editor. You can download the plugin here.
Rendering Optimization for Web and JSB
In Cocos2d-x 3.11 and 3.12 we added WebGL auto batching and culling that can increase performance drastically. Now, in Cocos Creator v1.2, we have includes all the WebGL optimizations. If you have your images packed in atlas properly you’ll see performance boost that at least 5 times better than last released version. The auto culling feature make sure that only sprites and labels you can see generates render commands, this will help supporting large scene and tilemap for your game.
For Android browsers that doesn’t support WebGL, the newly added dirty region optimization specifically for Canvas Rendering mode also brings 2 times of performance boost. You can also disable this optimization for Canvas rendering with API if your scene consists of moving elements mainly.
Graphics Drawing System
From Creator v0.7 to v1.1, the beloved cc.DrawNode API were always absent. In v1.2 let’s welcome cc.Graphics, a superior, fully upgraded version of graphic drawing API system. Besides covering all of cc.DrawNode’s functionality, cc.Graphics supports SVG vector format including static and animated graphics. You can get tens of thousands shared vector graphics from internet to spice up your game (be sure to check their license)! It’s also great for procedure graphic fans, let’s get started now!
Customizable Properties Panel for Components
We refactored Properties panel, that would probably be the first thing you notice when launching v1.2 for the first time since the panel looks way different now. Besides the looking, developers get the performance boost and more importantly, the ability to write custom property elements for your components. You can easily make visual property control like Widget component and make your designers very happy.
We have include AnySDK C++ library in v1.2 native build. You don’t need to do anything before you can call its API in your script to generate base package.
In the near future we will release an AnySDK plugin for Creator that you can finish the whole SDK workflow with fully graphical interface without leaving Cocos Creator.
For complete release notes, see our Forums.
You Tube video.
There are also many demos to show a complete game:
- ‘Dark Slash’ basic game loop demo. Special thanks to Veewo Games for authorizing us to use original ‘Dark Slash’ game resources to make this tutorial.
- UI Demos including multi-resolution supporting menu interface with cool transition animations, a backpack generated by data and prefab and a Clash Royale style navigation menu showcase.
- Blackjack demo, collaboratively developed with Tencent Games.
- Flappy Bird clone featuring a sheep.
- Star Catcher demo game, in user manual we have a quick start tutorial showing how to build this game step by step.
We will keep on adding more demos and complete games as well as improving the existing ones!